Thursday, February 12, 2009

Social Communities Become Errand Runners

Found a flyer for RunMyErrand.com's beta website on my door last night. They bill themselves as a site for "the busy" and "the not so busy," a social community through which users can find people to run the errands they're to busy to do themselves.

An online, paypal-like payment system seems to differentiate this from other sites like Craigslist, or the message board of multi-colored flyers behind the sugar station at the coffee house. It links the poster and the runner financially through a credit system; one credit equals one dollar.

Lets say I post "pick up my dry cleaning" as a 7 credit job. It would then go up on the site's wall for all to see, and potential errand-runners would apply to run my errand. I'd look at thier profiles and reviews others have posted, and make my choice. (Maybe they'd have a crazy, errand-running story like this guy??) Once my errand has been completed, funds would be transferred from me-the-poster to them-the-runner through this online credit system. I'd have my freshly laundered shirts, and they'd have seven bucks plunked into thier bank account. No in-person meeting needed, no exchange of cash required. And considering that paying someone for services rendered is an errand in and of itself, this is definately a good thing.

No comments: